Skip to main content

Pilgrim Nation by Devdutt Pattanaik

Definitely this book felt quite insightful. I am an agnostic right now. And not really feel interested to read mythology . But if it's books of devdutt Pattanaik I like to pick it up as his narration is very lucid and I like how he puts forward the facts. 
_______________

Book : Pilgrim Nation , Hardcover.

Author : Devdutt Pattanaik 

Publisher : Aleph Book Company 

_______________

In this book 32 pilgrimage sites are written about. The brief history of behind each of them with the mythical characters involved it enriched my knowledge. For example, I liked reading about Dakshineswar temple and Rani Rashmoni who built it. She was a strong woman leader who supported women empowerment in Kolkata during British Raj. 


Next I liked reading about Taj Mahal. Yes the author described Taj Mahal as pilgrim site rather than just a tourist place because it's sacred. And also took up the hot topic of what few mythologists believed it once was Tejo Mahalaya. 

Then the Sabarimala Temple of God Ayyappan . Here he has expressed his thoughts added with genuine facts about the on — going social and religious fanaticism based on gender differences. I liked the fact that he has added background events of the lord which might be the reason why these rules were continued. 


With few illustrations altogether I liked this book because it is not only a geographical or historical description of religious sites, but he has presented thoughts and facts in a way which made me think about the right and wrongs present in our traditions . Also things are kept to the point without boring lengthy paragraphs that even an occassional reader will enjoy. 

______

Priced at  449/- , inked into 224 pages .  

______