Skip to main content

An Interview with Mr. Tommy Tutalo , the author of the book Esperanza

Hello Guys , I hope you all are in the pink !  Few days ago I shared my thoughts on the book Esperanza by the author Mr. Tommy Tutalo.⁣ Esperanza was written over a period of 10 years ! 
He is also present over Instagram , so check his motivational posts at :  @tommytutalo⁣ 

In this pandemic when days look grim sometimes , due to this uncertain situation , Esperanza which means in spanish ' Hope ' , can fill your heart with an  warming message of hopefully looking forward to life.  I was very grateful to the author for being so humble and kind to have agreed to answer few of my questions. ⁣

I hope you will get some more insights into the book and the author. I recommend Esperanza to fiction lovers who like serious and realistic stories. ⁣


1. Sir , It was wonderful reading your book Esperanza . Is it your first book ? What inspires you write at the first place? 

 

Esperanza is my first published book. It took me 10 years to write, 2007-2017. What inspires me to write is my love of storytelling and being able to connect with people from all walks of life, different cultures, people from all over the world and inspire, motivate, entertain and give hope with my words. Since I was a child I always loved stories, mostly told in film. I wasn’t interested in academics, but creative writing classes, and journalism classes were always classes I was easily able to excel at. It was as I got older, during my college years that I discovered my love of writing and that writing was my calling in life, my purpose.  As an artist and former art student writing was the art medium that I felt the most connected to. Painting, photography, film making, graphic arts and drawing are all art forms that I love and enjoy doing but writing was the one that I felt the most passionate about. It is something that I felt in my heart, the desire to pursue, it became a part of me, something I could not live without, something that I get excited to do every day when I wake up.   

 

 

2. Why did you choose to write this story that specifically revolves around immigrants and illegal drug trafficking ? 

There were a combination of things that inspired me to write Esperanza. Before writing the story I was writing it as a short story about a reclusive struggling artist who ends up as a caretaker for a young girl. During this time the illegal immigration and drug trafficking issue at the U.S. Mexico border was a big topic and always in the news. I personally knew some illegal immigrants and got to learn about their journey from Latin America to U.S.A., the good, the bad and the ugly of it all. What was missing from the short story was who was the girl’s mother. The illegal immigration issue sparked the idea to have the mother be an illegal immigrant from Mexico. I began writing Esperanza June 2007 and completed a first draft August 2007. This was the beginning of my 10 year journey, what is now Esperanza.

 

 

2. Are the places mentioned in the story , specially 'Mexico' has any influence on your life  ? How are the places connected with you 

Besides New Jersey which is where I was born, raised and live and New York City as the story evolved throughout the years I was fortunate enough to visit and spend time in various regions of Mexico. Some of the settings mentioned in Esperanza I have been to. Oaxaca is one of my favorite places to visit in Mexico and it’s a city that inspires me as a writer. There is something magical about the atmosphere of the city, the artists roaming around, the architecture, the culture, the food, especially the coffee, hierva el aqua, and the way of life that just fuels my mind.

 

3. Is it your debut book ? If not , which other books have you written ?

Esperanza is my debut book. Other books that I have written and published are, An Indie Author’s Way, which is a book about my myself, the life of an indie author, my writing journey, and my tips and guidance for aspiring writers, and Modest Marine which is a documented account of my grandfather Domenick P. Tutalo’s time served in the United States Marine Corps C/1/24th Marines, 4th Marine Division during World War II in the Pacific and on Iwo Jima. 

 

5.How do you handle literary criticism.

I embrace it. Yes it can hurt at times, but it only makes me stronger as a writer. I do not consider myself “woke” or a “SJW” nor do I agree with the current “cancel culture” we see happening around the world, especially in the United States, which does nothing but silences truth and the opinions of others. As with all things in life, criticism should always be used as a means to recognize your flaws, grow and get better. Also, as a writer I have to respect the opinions of others. Writing is a powerful weapon and to have the right to express your opinions and emotions with words freely without being censored because others do not agree is a form of suppression, that I feel writers must defy and not be afraid to express their deepest thoughts and desires. I support free speech, the right to express your opinions and thoughts without being censored by others because they do not agree with what you say or write. Freedom of speech whether you agree or disagree should always be protected. That is what I support.   

 

 

6. What messages / lessons would you like to send readers through Esperanza .

Esperanza means hope in Spanish. This is the ultimate theme of the book, that no matter how difficult life can get, no matter how dire or chaotic your life may be, that there is always a beacon of hope, to never lose it even during the darkest of times because further ahead there is the light that will ultimately bring truth and set you free. 

 

 

7. Are you working on the next book already ? If yes , which genre we readers can expect it to be in ?

I completed my second novel earlier this year, The Mime. The Mime is a fantasy tale about a magician who seeks vengeance and steals a mime’s voice. The main character is a young girl who helps the mime retrieve his voice, and discovers truths about her past and life. Currently The Mime is in the hands of my editor. Based on how much needs to be fixed after going through the editing process will determine if The Mime gets published by the end of this year or early next year.  



_____________________________

_________________⁣___________
My detailed take on the book Esperanza here : ⁣
▪️Blog : http://solitudeandbooks.blogspot.com/2020/07/one-of-best-books-i-read-in-2020.html⁣
▪️Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/p/CC8_Lv8A--A/?igshid=14ft7qwtsceyi⁣
_________________⁣___________