Skip to main content

The Silent Patient - Alex Michaelides

Wow !! Finished reading The Silent Patient  ! It is a psychological thriller and didnot loose it's grip on my mind till the very end.It was just perfectly paced and yes I loved the narration part. Completely smooth with its easy language usage that kept me feeling comfortable while gliding through the story that's just spread over 330 pages . 



The way it  started and with its turns keeping me on the edge , I absolutely didnot expect that twisted  ending ! It was fantastic !  I also watched the movie Shutter Island few days ago so yeah somewhere my mind was constantly evaluating every twist and trying to find connection . I loved the narration so much ! I mean I wish the book would not have ended so fast haha ,  but at the same time wanted to know the results as quickly as possible  . I feel disappointed, I couldnot find any other books of the author Mr.Alex Michaelides yet . 

About the story , Alicia married for seven years was once a  famous artist of thirty three  years of age who was convicted of brutally murdering her husband.She was deeply in love with him.After the murder it has been 6 long years and as weird it can be she has not uttered a single word while in the asylum 'The Grove '. She is considered to be a gone case.
Theo is a young psychotherapist.He joins the  Asylum and takes over the charge of Alicia. He believes only he has the capability to make her speak again and know the truth behind this case. 


I was falling in love with Theo at some point of time ! I loved Ruth , even though her parts were only few. Again Barbie 's part made me giggle. The psychological fact that childhood trauma may resurface in people's adulthood wrapped the whole plot.

If anyone chooses to read this book , I think if they have some prior knowledge of these this ,  it will obviously make this novel more relatable and comprehensive to them.The story though a riveting crime fiction , tells a lot about the human mind like a non-fiction and speaks of self defence mechanisms . I love to read psychology based things and may that's why this proved to be the cherry on top for this thriller read for me !