This is a real story. Not a story, but a biography of the author, Moa Ijaz. It is his life through his nani's love, childhood sexual abuse in the most unexpected place, teenage perceived guilt and shame, and adulthood mental health breakdown. From infancy till his middle age, he shares how family, friends, relatives, and society downgrade us, and how that leads to us losing our identity, lowering our confidence, and later becoming like a "ghost."
But why all this? Just because of some conventional, meaningless rules of families and society that refuse to look deep into the issues that need upgradation. I really felt for him. The evil preacher, who was really far from being God's voice, installed the virus, as the author says. But I would say he corrupted the thought process of a very pure human mind, leading him to feel shame, along with the shame he received from teachers, peers, and even his small uncle. I wish parents would be more open to sit and speak with their kids. Though his parents were really supportive, I just wish he could speak with them more openly. But life is not easy, and we can suggest this or that, but only the carrier of those baggages knows how it truly feels.
I felt for him when he shared that he was too tired to even go back to the "correct" doctor and instead continued with the other one. Depression, a lifelong load of sadness, can do that to us. But I am glad the author is really strong and came out of it. After all, the fire is inside us, and only we have the ignition stick for it. We must never let it burn out. It is the gift of God, and we should appreciate it.
I think such events are way more common in many people's lives. I myself have gone through disrespect from relatives and peers, and public humiliation by teachers. It heavily affected me, making me develop social anxiety to some extent, and that still exists somewhat in me to this day. But I have learnt that ignorant people do this to us, and because of that, I have come out of it to a great extent. I hope his story inspires others to see hope. I also wish him the good life he deserves by coming out of all those halos, because we all are capable of leaving the past behind and creating a new life of our own.